среда, 9 июня 2010 г.

Phrasal verbs (I,J,K,L)

I

iron out (separable): mutually reach an agreement; mutually resolve difficulties

"Yes, I know we disagree on lots of things, Susan, but we can iron them out."

J

jack up (1. separable): raise / life by using a jack.

"We'll have to jack the back of the car up before we can change the tire."



jack up (2. separable): raise (used for prices).

"The car dealer bought my old Ford for $750 and jacked the price up to $1,500 when they sold it."



jump all over (inseparable): severely scold someone; berate someone.

"Arthur is really upset. His boss jumped all over him because he's been late for work three times this week."

K


keep on (1. inseparable--followed by an -ing verb): continue

"I'm not ready to stop yet. I think I'll keep on working for a while."



keep on (someone) (2. inseparable): continue to remind someone to do something until he/she does it (even if this irritates her/him).

"Bill's very forgetful. You'll have to keep on him or he'll never do all the things you want him to do."



kick out (separable): expel; force someone to leave because of his/her poor performance or unacceptable behavior.

"Jim's club kicked him out because he didn't pay his dues or come to meetings."



knock out (separable): make unconscious.

"The boxing match ended when one boxer knocked the other one out."

"That medicine really knocked me out. I slept for 14 hours straight!"



knock oneself out (separable): work much harder than normal or than what is expected.

"We completed the project on timebecause of Chuck. He knocked himself out to be sure we didn't miss the deadline."

L


lay off (separable): dismiss someone from a job because of lack of work or money (not because of poor performance)

"I feel really sorry Sally's family. Her father was laid off yesterday."



leave out (separable): forget; omit.

"Oh, no! When I made the list of those who attended the meeting, I left your name out!"



let down (separable): disappoint.

"I know I let you down when I didn't do what I promised. I'm really sorry."



let up (no object): become less intense or slower.

"It's been raining hard for a long time. Will it ever let up?"



look back on (inseparable): remember; reflect on / consider something in the past.

"When they looked back on their many years together, they realized that their marriage had been a very happy one."



look down on (inseparable): hold in contempt; regard as inferior.

"It's not surprising that Fred has few friends. He seems to look down on anyone who doesn't like the same things that he does."



look forward to (inseparable): anticipate pleasantly; think about a pleasant thing before it happens

"I'm really looking forward to vacation. I can't wait for it to begin!"



look in on (inseparable): visit in order to check something's / someone's condition.

"My father just came home from the hospital. I plan to look in on him today after I finish work."



look into (inseparable): investigate / get more details about something.

"Someone said there was a meeting at 9:30 but I haven't heard anything about it. Shall I look into it?"



look like (inseparable): resemble (in appearance).

"Does he look like his father or his mother?"



look over (separable): check; review.

"I think I may have some typos in this report. Could you look it over?"



look up (1. separable): find something in a reference work.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know what that word means. I'll have to look it up."



look up (2. separable): find where someone lives or works and visit him/her.

"Thanks for giving me your brother's address. When I'm in Chicago next month, I'll be sure to look him up."



look up to (inseparable): respect.

"Everyone looks up to Joyce because she always makes time to help others."



luck out (no object): be unexpectedly lucky.

"Gloria was worried because she wasn't prepared to give a report at the meeting, but she lucked out because the meeting was postponed."

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий