среда, 9 июня 2010 г.

Phrasal verbs (M,N,P,R)

M

make fun of (inseparable): make jokes about (usually unkindly).

"I agree that Bob looks ridiculous since he shaved his head, but don't make fun of him. You'll hurt his feelings."



make up (1. separable): invent / create (imaginary) information.

"Judy's story is hard to believe. I'm sure she made it up."



make up (2. separable): compensate for something missed or not done by doing extra or equivalent work.

"I'm sorry I missed the test. May I make it up?"



make up (with) (3. inseparable): re-establish a friendly relationship by admitting guilt.

"Jack and his girlfriend were very angry with each other, but last night they finally made up."

"Jack and his girlfriend were very angry with each other, but last night they finally made up with each other."



make out (separable): see / hear something well enough to understand what it means. (Note: often negative.)

"Ruth's writing is very small. I almost need a magnify glass to make it out."

"What were the last two examples that he gave? I couldn't make them out."



make for (1. inseparable): go to or toward.

"Her teen-aged children are always hungry. As soon as they arrive home from school, they make for the refrigerator."



make for (2. inseparable): result in; cause.

"Many hands make for light work. (If many people work together, there's less work for everyone.)"



mark up (separable): increase the price (for resale).

"Mrs. White's import shop is profitable because she buys things inexpensively and then marks them up."



mark down (separable): reduce the price (as an incentive to buy).

"These shoes were really a bargain! The store marked them down by 40%!"



mix up (separable): cause to become confused.

"I didn't complete the assignment because I didn't know how. The directions mixed me up."

N


nod off (no object): fall sleep (usually unintentionally).

"The speech was so boring that several people in the audience nodded off before it was finished."

P


pan out (no object): succeed; happen as expected (for plans). (Note: almost always negative when in statements.)

"I'll be here next week after all. My trip to Chicago didn't pan out."



pass away (no object): die.

"I was very sorry to hear that your grandfather passed away."



pass out (1. no object): faint; lose consciousness.

"When Ella heard that she'd won a million dollars, she was so shocked that she passed out."



pass out (2. separable): distribute.

"Everyone in the room needs one of these information sheets. Who will help me pass them out?"



pick out (separable): choose; select.

"Billy's grandmother especially liked her birthday card because Billy had picked it out himself."



pick up (1. separable): lift; take up.

"Those books don't belong on the floor. Will you help me pick them up?"



pick up (2. separable): arrange to meet someone and give her/him a ride.

"Of course we can go there together. What time should I pick you up?"



pick up (3. separable): get; buy.

"The children just drank the last of the milk. Could you pick some more up on your way home this evening?"



pick up (4. separable): refresh; revitalize.

"He was feeling a little tired, so he drank a glass of orange juice. It picked him up enough to finish his work."



pick on (inseparable): bully; intentionally try to make someone upset.

"You should be ashamed of teasing your little brother, Bob! Pick on someone your own size!"



pitch in (no object): help; join together to accomplish something.

"We'll be finished soon if everyone pitches in."



pull over (no object): drive a vehicle to the side of the rode.

"When the policeman indicated that I should pull over, I knew he was going to give me a ticket."



put away (separable): return something to the proper place.

"I just took these clothes out of the dryer. Will you help me put them away?"



put off (1. separable): postpone; delay; avoid

"I can't put this work off any longer. If I don't do it soon, it'll be impossible to finish it in time."

"When will Mr. Smith agree to a meeting? I keep asking for an appointment, but he keeps putting me off."



put on (1. separable): begin to wear; don.

"It's a little bit chilly outside. You'd better put a sweater on."



put on (2. separable): try to make someone believe something that is ridiculous or untrue.

"Don't believe a word of what Jim was saying. He was just putting us on."



put (someone) out (separable): inconvenience someone.

"I hate to put you out, but I need a ride to the train station and hope you can take me."



put up (1. separable): return something to the proper place.

"Your toys are all over the floor, Timmy. Please put them up."



put up (2. separable): provide someone with a place to sleep.

"There's no need for you to check into a hotel. I'll be happy to put you up."



put up with (inseparable): tolerate.

"It's really important to come to work on time. The boss won't put up with tardiness."



put back (separable): return something to the proper place.

"I've finished with these books. Do you want me to put them back on the shelves?"

R

rip off (separable): cheat; take advantage of; charge too much.

"Don't even think about buying a car there. They'll rip you off."



round off (separable): change from a fraction to the nearest whole number.

"Round all prices off to the closest whole-dollar amounts. For example, round $33.73 off to $34.00."



run into (inseparable): meet by chance.

"Yesterday at the supermarket, Jan ran into her former roommate. Before yesterday, they hadn't seen each other for nearly five years."



run out of (inseparable): use the last of.

"On the way home from work, Art ran out of gas."


http://www.eslcafe.com/pv/pv-r.html

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий